Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Worst thing ever done, Charlie's audition

Charlie’s Audition

“Not this joker again, lord he has got to stop coming to these auditions, go ahead Charlie from the top if you please. Would you like to get some lunch in about an hour?”
“yeah ok, who is he?”
“Who? Oh Charlie—he comes in every other audition or so, nice enough fellow, just hopeless on stage. I mean—That was stage left Charlie not house left, start again form the top—I mean he means well just misses the mark constantly.”
“Should I stop him then?”
“No might as well let him have his fun, he’s an insurance big wig or something this is his hobby.”
“Sounds like an interesting man, single?”
“Lord Margret is there anything else you think about, yes he is single, but no he is not available. His wife died of cancer a few years ago, she was a fan of “the theater” and always wanted to get him involved.”
“That’s so sad.”
“Alright Charlie that was good, now lets skip to act five scene two Lucile read with him if you would—yeah it’s pretty heart wrenching, I knew her a little before she went, real dame of a lady.”
“So why doesn’t he just patronize or something, why try out?”
“Oh he does, always been one of our biggest supporters—I think it was one of her last wishes though, I don’t think she ever expected him to try out for Broadway—Just community theater.”
“Why not just give him a peripheral part and let him live it out?”
“I offered him that once, said we all appreciate what you and your wife have done, no problem giving you a small part. He didn’t want to take it—everything he gets he earns I think is what he said.”
“He seems like a sweet guy, and really not all that bad on stage”
“Don’t bother prodding at me, he’s not there yet, he’s gotten much better but I—I won’t give anything to him unless he’s the best, it’s the least I can do for Bess.”
“Bess?—“
“His wife, we were—we, before she—he wasn’t there, consumed by his job, and well—but when she was diagnosed, he was there every day, devoted— I don’t think she ever forgave herself.”
“Does your, does Lucile know?”
“No, it would destroy her. I never should have said anything—I just, I don’t know why I told you, discretion is the better part of valor Jenny, Your new and I shouldn’t have—you remind me a lot of my sister.”
“OK”
“OK?”
“Your secrets safe with me—don’t look at me like that, it’s what you wanted anyway right?”
“Well yes, but I didn’t expect—Good Charlie try that last part again but don’t act so surprised, remember you knew what was in the trunk all along—you remind me a lot of my sister.”

No comments:

Post a Comment